Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Stage 28: the story of the story, part FINITO except for editing, formatting, submitting, and publishing. Shut up.

Once the weather improves, black pens everywhere will be lighting candles as I bury their three fallen brothers in the planter outside my apartment building. Yes, I still have the first two pens that died so "Stage 28" could live. Yes, that means I've kept two dried up Bic pens for a year. Not just kept them, transported them when I moved this past summer. I'm quite mad you see.

Once Spring arrives for a long-ish stay (shouldn't be too long now) they will be laid to rest along with a Staples SONIX Gel pen that also laid down his life for the cause of my Phantom story. I think perhaps I will wrap them in a black cloth and sing their requiem.

You all think I'm joking, don't you?

I had to pause for a count of five between words for the last page-and-a-bit. That would revive the ink for another three letters or so. My patience was wearing thin at the end, and I just scratched out the name and date as quickly as I could. I might as well have done it with my fingernail for all it showed up.

Who cares? It's DONE.

Now, it will be shoved in a drawer for a week before I begin the major renovations it still needs, mostly in the last three pages. I'm pleased with the ending, but I need to clarify it. Clarify it to emphasize its ambiguity, which makes sense to me. There's also some reorganization of events to be done. The important thing is that I know all the elements that I want are there this time, and everyone's ended up where they should be.

What Happens Next

I have another story that I'll begin work on soon called "After the Blackout", and I also intend to pull out my stories from the past few years (five in total...yeah, kinda sad), rip them apart, and turn them into something I can be proud of now (not two or three years ago). Once that's done, I'll set those in circulation as well.

Be happy for me. I am!

No comments: